Leader Development Programs
The Center for Leadership and Character sponsors a variety of leader development opportunities for students including participating in Service Academies Leadership Conference Program and the Ethics & Leadership Debate Team.
Service Academies Leadership Conference Program
The CLC is pleased to sponsor the Service Academies Leadership Conference Program. In the program’s fourth year, the Center for Leadership and Character supports up to 6 undergraduate business school students to attend leadership conferences at four service academies.
For this academic year’s program, the applications are being accepted through November 8th. This year there, the conference offerings will be:
- US Naval Academy – Naval Academy Leadership Conference in Maryland, January 21-24, 2018; Breaking Barriers: Obstacles Are Opportunities
- US Air Force Academy – National Character & Leadership Symposium in Colorado, February 22-23, 2018; Ethics and Respect for Human Dignity
- The Citadel – Principled Leadership Symposium in South Carolina, March 22-23, 2018
- US Military Academy at West Point – 6th Annual McDonald Conference for Leaders of Character in New York, March 21-25, 2018
Interested undergraduate business school students interested in applying to attend should possess a passion regarding leadership and learning more about the subject; strong values, and the courage to exchange and defend ideas in a public forum of peer and senior leaders. They will serve as ambassadors for WFU School of Business.
The application can be found here: Service Academies Leadership Conference Program Application
Testimonials from last year’s student attendees can be found here.
Ethics and Leadership Debate Team
In its sixth year, the WFU Ethics and Leadership Debate Team consists of undergraduate students with a passion to debate ethical business issues in competitive forums.
The Ethics & Leadership Debate Team participates in several ethics debate competitions regionally with potential representation at the national level in the Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl. Sponsored by the Center for Leadership & Character, the team has won the 2013, 2014, and 2015 North Carolina Ethics Bowl.
Competitions slated for 2017-2018 include:
- Southeast Regional Ethics Bowl – University of Central Florida, November 4, 2017
- Mid-Atlantic Regional Ethics Bowl – Clemson University, November 18, 2017
- North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities Ethics Bowl – Raleigh, NC, February 16-17, 2018
- Southeast Regional Business Ethics Case Competition– Stetson University, February 22-23, 2018
The team is coached by Stephen Oldham. For more information, contact Lyn Myers at 336-758-3673 or team coordinator, Stephen Oldham