Leader Development Programs
The Center for Leadership and Character sponsors a variety of leader development opportunities for students including participating in Service Academies Leadership Conference Program and the Ethics & Leadership Debate Team.
Service Academies Leadership Conference Program
The CLC is pleased to sponsor the Service Academies Leadership Conference Program. In the program’s fourth year, the Center for Leadership and Character supports up to 6 undergraduate business school students to attend leadership conferences at four service academies.
For this academic year’s program, the applications are being accepted through November 4th. This year there, the conference offerings will be:
- US Naval Academy – USNA Leadership Conference in Maryland, January 22-25, 2017– “Forging Team Spirit”
- US Air Force Academy – USAF Leadership and Character Symposium in Colorado, February 23-24, 2017
- The Citadel – Principled Leadership Symposium in South Carolina, March 16-17, 2017
- US Military Academy at West Point – McDonald Conference for Leaders of Character in New York, March 30-April 2, 2017 – “Opposition and Innovation: Taking Risks to Lead Change”
Interested undergraduate business school students interested in applying to attend should possess a passion regarding leadership and learning more about the subject; strong values, and the courage to exchange and defend ideas in a public forum of peer and senior leaders. They will serve as ambassadors for WFU School of Business.
The application can be found here: Service Academies Leadership Conference Program Application
Testimonials from last year’s student attendees can be found here.
Ethics and Leadership Debate Team
In its fifth year, the WFU Ethics and Leadership Debate Team consists of undergraduate students with a passion to debate ethical business issues in competitive forums.
The Ethics & Leadership Debate Team participates in several ethics debate competitions regionally with potential representation at the national level in the Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl. Sponsored by the Center for Leadership & Character, the team has won the 2013, 2014, and 2015 North Carolina Ethics Bowl.
Competitions slated for 2016-2017 include:
- Southeast Regional Ethics Bowl – University of Central Florida, October 29, 2016
- Mid-Atlantic Regional Ethics Bowl – Clemson University, November 19, 2016
- North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities Ethics Bowl – Raleigh, NC, February 17-18, 2017
- Southeast Regional Business Ethics Case Competition– Stetson University, March 2-3, 2017