A Talk by Robert Bach, October 24, 2017, at Wake Forest University
Former President of Microsoft and Chief XBOX Officer, Robert Bach, author if XBox Revisited: A Game Plan for Corporate and Civic Renewal, shared leadership, ethics, and entrepreneurship insights.
Self-awareness, knowing one’s strengths and weaknesses, as well as attracting and keeping good people on your team, is a foundation for leadership. To get people ready to follow, a leader needs to cultivate respect, demonstrate competence, and have the courage to make tough calls.
The culture of an organization is about everything including how leaders act every day through demonstrating organizational values. Culture needs to be intentional.
Strategy + Innovative Ideas + Good Leaders = Success
- Do not tolerate mediocrity – take action
- Business knowledge is essential encompassing finance, marketing, strategy, etc.
- Help partners to make money in the partnership as that continues to build trust
- Need to make investment for long term to set foothold into the market
- Be competitive
- Work-life balance is your own responsibility – get help where you need it
The talk was sponsored by The Center for Entrepreneurship, the Office of the Dean of the College, and the Office of Personal and Career Development.